KUCHING: The Federal Village Community Management Council (MPKKP) system is in conflict of the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63).

In a phone survey conducted by Sarawak Patriots Association (SPA), 75.8 per cent of respondents were not in favour of the new federal village management system while 24.2 per cent supported the move.

SPA chairman Datuk Dr John Lau Pang Heng told New Sarawak Tribune recently that they had conducted phone interviews with 1,200 respondents for the past five days (Oct 24 to 29).

“Majority of them feel that the federal government needs to have a dialogue with the Sarawak government to find an amicable solution.

“They added that the current Village Security and Development Committee (JKKK) is working very well in Sarawak to coordinate government projects…so why the MPKKP?” he said.

Those who supported the formation of MPKKP in Sarawak said they respected the government of the day’s decision.

SPA respected the federal government for adopting the rule of law concept in running the country.

However, they are asking if the federal government ruled by the law, and if they used rule of law, follow the law, rule by the law, the MPKKP would not be implemented.

“Many of the promises made by the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government in their 14th General Election (GE14) have not been fulfilled. Hence, SPA is asking the federal government to fulfil their promises to Sarawak,” Lau stated.

The total response received as of midnight on Oct 29, the respondents of the survey were aged between 30 and 65 years old; 45 per cent are female and the remaining 55 per cent are male. Each phone call lasted an average of three minutes only.

These respondents have full-time jobs and all are Sarawakians. They are in SPA’s database for phone surveys.

Three questions were asked by five of SPA’s research assistants – do they support the federal government forming the MPKKP in Sarawak?, what are the reasons for supporting the MPKKP? and what are the reasons for not supporting MPKKP?