Friday, August 19, 2022

SUPP: What should be done if anyone is involved in a motor vehicle accident

Secara Rawak

SUPP Public Complaints Bureau Chief Wilfred Yap was recently approached by a resident from 7th Mile seeking advice as he was involved in an accident involving the collision of two motor vehicles of which one of the passengers in the other motor vehicle is now critically injured.

Many car accidents occur each year in Sarawak. Fortunately, most of them involve only damage to the vehicle as opposed to the occupants. As assistance to the public, SUPP Public Complaints Bureau is issuing this list on what should be done if anyone is involved in a motor vehicle accident.

  1. STOP. Never drive away from the scene of an accident, even a minor one.
  2. PROTECT THE SCENE. You can prevent further accidents by keeping your car flashers on.
  3. CALL THE POLICE. Even if there are no serious injuries, you should call the police as a police report is required to file a claim to repair the damages to your car with the insurance company. The vehicles involved in the accident should remain where they are.
  4. MAKE AN ACCURATE RECORD. When the police arrive, make sure you tell the police officer exactly what happened in a police report.
  5. TAKE PICTURES. You should use your hand phone to take pictures of the vehicles if there is visible damage. If you have visible injuries, you should photograph them as well.
  6. EXCHANGE INFORMATION.  You should obtain the name, address and telephone number of all persons involved in the accident, drivers and passengers alike. You should also obtain information about insurance of  all vehicles involved in the accident. If there are witnesses, you should get information from them as well so that you can contact them in the future.
  7. REPORT THE ACCIDENT. Notify your insurance company as soon as possible. Many insurance policies require immediate reporting and full cooperation.
  8. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION. Often, injuries caused by motor vehicle accidents are not immediately apparent.  Unless you are absolutely certain you were not injured, you should seek medical attention.
  9. KEEP A FILE. Keep all your accident-related documents and information together. This information should include a claim number, the claim’s adjuster who is handling the claim, names and phone numbers of all contacts, receipts for a rental car and other expenses incurred as a result of the accident.

SUPP Public Complaints Bureau is always ready to lend a helping hand to the anyone facing  problems or who come across problems of public interest but does not know how to deal with it. Anyone requiring assistance can always call SUPP Public Complaint’s mobile number at 016-7797688 or 082-246999 or go direct to SUPP Head Office to request for assistance.- SUPPNEWS

SUPP PCB Chief Wilfred Yap advising the resident from 7th Mile who was recently involved in a motor vehicle accident

Ikuti Facebook Kami

Artikel Terbaru